By Katherine O’Brien, Senior Editor, American Printer, OutputLinks Communications Group
It’s hard to believe, but drupa is almost upon us. The show takes place from May 3 to May 16 and in previous years has attracted 390,000 visitors from 140 countries. In 2008, drupa featured 1,971 exhibitors from 52 countries.
Consulting my crystal ball
My fearless drupa 2012 predictions include lots of inkjet news. But Andy Plata, Co-CEO of OutputLinks, begs to differ. “Last drupa was ‘The Inkjet drupa’,” says Andy. “This one will be the financial reflection drupa.”
Here are some additional drupa observations.
- We won’t be able to throw a rock without hitting an inkjet press. But which ones will make it? (Remember the drupa that featured about a dozen DI presses? Most never left the concept stage.)
- Fewer small format offset presses as digital presses gain ground and large format presses achieve ever remarkable efficiencies. (Duplicators are long gone as are many of the small format press specialists. And it seems more economical to go with a larger sheet size vs. investing in half size press.)
- Unprecedented perfector speeds, perhaps even equal to one-sided speeds.
- Fewer UV lamps for faster curing and energy savings on new offset presses.
- Lots of packaging news for digital, offset, flexo and grand format inkjet.
- Lots of talk about nano pignment inks as well as printed electronics.
- Benny Landa will put on a great show.
- No subsequent drupa theme will ever rival the stirring anthem composed for drupa 2000.
How about you? Do you have any predictions for the big show?
Senior Editor American Printer
Senior Editor OutputLinks Communication Group